The Essence of Australian Sport
- fairness — operating in the spirit of the rules, never taking an unfair advantage and making informed and honourable decisions at all times
- respect — recognising the contribution people make to sport, treating them with dignity and consideration, as well as caring for the property and equipment they use
- responsibility — taking responsibility for own actions and being a positive role model at all times
- safety — encouraging healthy and safe procedures and preventing and reporting dangerous behaviour, while demonstrating concern for others.
Australians are proud of their sporting ability and reputation as a nation of good sports, and our society expects high standards of behaviour from all people involved in sport.
It is vital that the integrity of sport is maintained. The main responsibility for this lies with decision makers, at every level of sport, who should ensure that all policies, programs and services are based on the principles of fairness, respect, responsibility and safety.
The Essence of Australian Sport was written by the Australian Sports Commission (ASC) in consultation with the sports industry to provide a statement on what sport in Australia ‘stands for’ — its core principles and values.
This document aims to:
- provide a consistent and positive foundation, or cornerstone, for the development of codes of conduct and policy, strategic planning and program development
- remind people of, and focus their attention on, the positive aspects, values and benefits of sport
- reinforce that everyone has a role to play in promoting and displaying good sportsmanship and fair-play values.
As The Essence of Australian Sport has been developed by and for the sports industry, it is not intended to be a regulatory or prescriptive document. The ASC, through its programs and resources, will assist sporting organisations to adopt this initiative and implement it into their daily activities, processes and policies.
If you would like to order copies of The Essence of Australian Sport poster or brochure, please contact the ASC Publishing section by following the link below.
Support resources are available to download by following the resources link.