Local Sporting Champions
Grants to help young people pursue their sporting dreams
The Local Sporting Champions (LSC) program is an Australian Government initiative designed to provide financial assistance for young sportsmen and women aged 12-18.
If successful, applicants will receive a $500 grant that can be used towards the cost of travel, accommodation, uniforms or equipment when competing, coaching or officiating at an official national sporting organisation (NSO) endorsed state, national or international sporting championships, or a School Sport Australia state, national or international championships.
To be eligible to apply for a Local Sporting Champions grant, young people must meet the following criteria:
- Be turning 12 to 18 years of age in the same calendar year as the nominated sporting championship.
- Be an Australian citizen or have been granted permanent resident status, residing in Australia.
- Be participating as an athlete, coach, umpire or referee in:
- an official state championships endorsed by the relevant Australian Sports Commission (ASC) recognised national sporting organisation (NSO), or
- an official state school sport championship endorsed by a School Sport Australia member body, or
- an official national championships endorsed by the relevant ASC recognised NSO, or
- a national school sport championships endorsed by School Sport Australia, or
- an international competition as a member of an official Australian team, endorsed by an ASC recognised NSO or School Sport Australia.
- Be living more than 125km from the championship venue, and travelling greater than 250km return to participate in the nominated championship.
- Must complete and submit application to the ASC prior to the nominated championship commencing.
- Must not have received a Local Sporting Champions grant for an application submitted in the same allocation year (1 March – 28/29 February).
- Must not have received $500 or more in federal government funding for the nominated championship.
- Must not be participating in a professional competition that involves prize money greater than $500.
Note: Saved applications must be completed and submitted prior to the championship.
Along with meeting the eligibility criteria, to receive a grant applicants must abide by the program Terms and Conditions.
How to Apply
Applications for the Local Sporting Champions program are to be completed online via the below link:
A copy of the application is available in the Additional Resources link below. Before commencing, it is recommended to review the application and ensure you have all information available to complete the form.
To complete the application, you will need to provide the following information:
- Your personal/contact details.
- Championship details (name, organisation, type of competition, location and dates).
- Confirmation of Participation (contact details of an individual to confirm your selection/participation in the championships).
- Importance of championship (short answer response required).
- Your commitment to sport (short answer response required).
- The selection process (short answer response required).
- Additional information (short answer response required).
- Details on other sources of funding received (if relevant).
- Personal bank account details (account name, BSB and account number).
- Parent/Guardian contact details (if you are aged 12-17 years).
If you have all the information required, the online application will take approximately 30 minutes to complete.
You will be able to save the application from step 6 and return to complete it, however all saved applications must be completed and submitted prior to the commencement of the nominated championships to be eligible.
Submitted applications will be acknowledged through a system-generated email sent to your nominated email address, which will include a copy of the submitted application. It is recommended that you keep a record of the email, as you will no longer have access to the application once it has been submitted.
Accessing a Saved Application
When an application is saved, a unique access code will be emailed to your nominated email address.
To access a saved application, you will need to complete the first three steps of the application form with the same details and enter the unique access code in step 4, when prompted. Once accessed, you will be able to complete and submit your application.
It is important to note that to access a saved application, you will need to complete the first three steps of the application each time you close the browser.
Saved applications that are not submitted will expire in 28 days from when they are first saved. A reminder email will be sent to you 7 days before the application is due to expire, to remind you that you have un-submitted applications.
Editing a Submitted Application
Once submitted, applicants can no longer access the application.
If you require any changes to be made, please contact the Local Sporting Champions grant administrators on (02) 6214 1462 or email email@example.com